Sep 30, 2012

Tattoo Ideas: Part 1

Happy October! Who can believe it's already a new month? I feel like September has just begun. Hell, I feel like this year has just begun. But I'll probably be saying until the end of this year when I say how I can't believe how fast this year went by.. 

Alright, so I'm a bit nervous to talk about this because I know how some people react about tattoos:

"It's not gonna look good when you're older yada yada yada". 
Ok first of all, it's okay if you don't think it looks good. Are we really that big of hypocrites to preach how looks don't matter, but when it comes to tattoos "Oh no! You wont look good". Thank you, but no thank you. If I have a saggy tattoo one day, so be it. If you don't like me because of it, I'm sure someone else will. But I highly doubt when I'm 75 someone will come up to me and tell me how my tattoo doesn't look good. 

"You're going against God, you'll go to hell"
I'll let God be the judge of that.

"You wont get a good job. Tattoos are unprofessional"
If I ever get denied a job over a tattoo, then thank God. I would not want to work for a company who discriminates anyway.

With that being said, I'm thinking of getting a tattoo. Like REALLY thinking. I've always wanted one. The reason I haven't gotten one is because every time there's one I like, I'll change my mind a few weeks later. So you can hardly say I didn't think this through. But let me cut to the chase for those still reading...

I've decided I want my tattoo to be in memory of my father. 

When I was 14 I begged my dad to take me to get one. He wouldn't. He joked and said he would take me to get one only if it said "dad". I joked back and said that was lame. Well, actually I wasn't joking, but he seemed to think so. I'm going to get that "dad" tattoo, because suddenly I don't think it's lame.

I want YOUR opinions. For the placement, I'm thinking of the back of my shoulder or the side of my lower back. & I'm definitely going to get his initials & the word "daddy", but as for the picture, here's a few things I'm leaning towards..

......dandelions w/ his initials......


When I was little my family took Summer vacations driving to NY (from FL). I still have the memory in my head of being at a rest stop and my parents telling me that when you make a wish and blow dandelions, your wish will come true. So whenever I was in NY, I always had to blow dandelions and make wishes. ALWAYS. There's not as many here as there were up there, but whenever I see one it just makes me think of him and that memory and my childhood.

......Guns & angel wings w/ initials......


Not this placement and not as big and not necessarily this design, but you get the idea. My dad taught me how to shoot a gun. In fact that's one of the last things we did together. The angel wings are pretty much self explanatory. I think this tattoo would be b/a and I am of course b/a (deep down)! It's in my blood. I know guns & wings might not look like much to you, but as the dandelion, it means something to me.

......Birds w/ "in loving memory" & initials......


Maybe a little different then this picture. We used to feed the birds by the river when I was little. It was our thing. Besides that, my grandma loved birds, too. I could even add her name to this.

......a combination of both 1 & 3......


Welp, I think this idea is so pretty. Perfect, even. 

Alright well these are some ideas! I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks everyone!

24 comments:

Megan O. said...

I really like that last one. Different, but pretty...and means something to you. I like it on the side as well. I have one there (I have three total), didn't hurt to bad. And you can still hide it or show it off if you want. Shoulder area is pretty out in the open, but I guess it just depends on how visible you want it! Love tats, especially when they mean something to you, all mine do and I wouldn't change them for anything!

Sarah said...

Eh, when people say that the tattoo won't look good when we're old, I just tell them, "nothing looks good when we're old". hah.

I LOVE the dandelion. I'm way into cute and simple. :)

For placement I would HIGHLY recomend the back of your shoulder. That's where I got mine and it hardly hurt at all!! I'm not gonna lie, some parts did hurt A LOT... but not nearly as bad as I thought it would and people with lots of tattoos tell me that's one of the best spots to get it... and if you get it there, you wouldn't have to worry about not finding a job. ;) Or.... you could just work at Menards (where I work) where they don't care. :p

The birds on the back of the shoulder tattoo is the EXACT one I have!! I love it!! :) I'm thinking about adding a little quote to it soon. :)

Unknown said...

I think the last one is so great, especially how you mentioned that the dandelions reminded you of your dad. Tattoos, in my opinion, should mean something special to you, and that one definitely does! Also, I've always thought of birds (as well as dandelions) as something that represents freedom and flying off to somewhere else. As you've mentioned in previous posts, you've always wanted to be an actress and follow your dreams - so i think the birds are a perfect representation of those dreams and of them one day coming true. :)

Hillary said...

If you get a tattoo it should definitely have a purpose and meaning. If I was choosing between these designs I'd choose the birds.

Ashley @ ThisUnscriptedLife said...

I really like the last one. Don't worry about what anyone says. It's your body so it's your decision. I think it's good that you are putting a lot of thought in to this. Most people just go get a tattoo just to get one and might regret it later. Your tattoo will mean something special to you. =)

Erin @ Happily Obsessed said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the dandelion! Ans since it reminds you of him it's even better!! I love tats on the shoulder blade that are very delicate and that would be perfect!!!

I work in the legal field and have one visable tat and I have never had an issue. But I am like you if I did, I wouldn't want to work for small minded people!

My said...

My favorite is the last one.
Following you now, would love if you followed back:)

http://myfashionfoodstyle.blogspot.co.il/

Sammantha said...

Aw girl you have me craving another tattoo now! I can definitely appreciate wanting to get one in memory of your father - I have one on the back of my neck that just simply says "father" in arabic, in memory of my dad. I love all of these ideas, but the last one is my favorite!

www.dysfunctionaleverafter.com

Savannah said...

I REALLY love the dandelion-to-birds tattoo. I think it's great that there will be two symbols of your Dad, instead of just one. Besides that, it's really beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

i really love the combination of 1 & 3.

ps: im a new follower :)

Janna Renee said...

I have six tattoos and they have never held me back! I definitely think that you should put it in a place that can be covered when necessary, but either way, there is makeup that works great to cover them naturally if needed. I like 1, 3, or the combo of 1 and 3!

themosbysinchina said...

Hey Heather! So fun that your thinking about getting a tattoo! I have a tattoo, Beloved, on my wrist. I LOVE it. It means a lot to me, it's to remind me that I am a Beloved of God, and to just Be Loved, as in receive love.
I really love having mine on my wrist, because I can see it everyday, and its a good reminder to me, also, because at work (teaching) I can wear a watch over it very easily! I really love the dandelion bird combo... or maybe the birds.. It seems like the birds are a good mix of girly, simple and b/a/ :) I think its especially nice to get a tatoo somewhere you can see it!
I want another tattoo on the inside arch of my foot
I really love the two pics with the tattoos on the shoulder blade. They look great. Let us know what you decide!!

Amy Powell said...

I like the dandelion with initials. But, tattoos are super personal & I'm sure whatever you pick will do him honor :)

Hilary said...

I have one hidden toward the base of my neck... I love the dandelions with your dad's initials!

Dalayna Dillon said...

Man, I am just not quite brave enough to get a tattoo! lol I mean to think about it being there FOREVER is scary to me. Maybe that is a commitment problem. lol I don't know, but I REALLY like the birds. It is simple but different and super cute! Coming to you from the GFC blog hop. Now following you via GFC. I blog over at www.dalaynadillon.blogspot.com Look forward to chatting and getting to know you!

Dalayna

Naptime Review said...

Stopping by from GFC hop! Love for you to stop by and return the follow when you can ;)

Hosting Like Me on Facebook now. Love for you to link up if you'd like.
www.thenaptimereview.com
Julie @ Naptime Review

itsmekt said...

hey girl,
saying hi, noticed you found my blog on a link up :)
tattoos are a great way to express yourself. I think theres so much negativity on the subject becuase you have all these ppl going out there getting tattoos of the strangest things in the strangest places. However that been said they clearly wanted to do that and thats something that I can respect, if you can give me a reason behind why you want to get the tattoo then in my mind you should get the tattoo. I have 7, a butterfly - defines my life and letting everything go and starting fresh, i have 3 chinesse symbols faith, love & friend ship - the most important things to me. on my bucket list i wanted to get tattoo by a female so I got a girly tattoo as a mocking statement for men who think girls only get girlly tatts well now i can say i also got it done by a girl to! :P. I got my sign 'Leo" well the symbol tattoo'd on the inside of wrist. when my best friend was moving from ontario to BC we got tattoos on the top of our shoulders that says strength his is on the opisite side in spanish so whenever we stand back to back it translates :D. I have "live & learn" on my back above my butterfly. and on the side on my ribs I have " you only live once, if you do it right once is enough" and on the other side in a few weeks ill be getting "jesus loves me, this I know because the bible tells me so", the reason behind that is because I know that no matter what happens in life its gods plan he has back back and whatever i do will all be forgiven - so the comments so long lol I just love tattoos and I LOVE the meaning behind yours, I really like the guns with the wings, the story behind it is the one I enojyed reading the most, however I like the combination of the last one.

Rach said...

These are really pretty. I especially love the very first one and the last one. Both so pretty. And I love that you are doing this in honor of your dad. I've wanted a tattoo for a long time as well, but like you I'm always changing my mind about what I want, haha! But this is a really sweet tribute to your dad.

TheTinyHeart said...

I think a tattoo is a beautiful way to remember your dad! I really love the dandelions or the birds. I don't have any tattoos but my hubby has a ton :) I'm a new follower!

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart
Chicnova Giveaway!

princessmama said...

I love the birds and the last one. I see nothing wrong with wanting to carry the wonderful memories of your father close to you. I have debated the whole tattoo thing for a long time now. I want one/I don't want one. We will see. For now my hubby has enough for the both of us.

Krista said...

I love the last one! And it is a great way to honor your dad and his memory. Doesn't matter what anyone else says, it's what is best for you.

Le Petite Moustache said...

I love the last one, it's beautiful... and the birds by themselves is subtle but so pretty too <3

http://segenswunsche.blogspot.co.uk/

Mike @ Tattooseminar.com said...

Guns and angel wings are fantastic! But I think it was too much for you if this is your first time to get a tattoo. I will suggest you get the combination of 1 and 3.

Steve said...

just happended to come upon your page looking for a storage idea and saw this, have a couple tattoos myself, small and very personal to me. I think you probably have already done the tattoo but would like to give my feedback. I like the dandelion idea, and thought about intead of turning into birds how about angels, I think that would work for the concept and might be something i might try, its expandable for when you lose those special people in your life.